Car Maintenance in monsoon is something to be taken care off. The monsoons undoubtedly make everything beautiful and one will love to go long drives in such wonderful weather. But this season is the worst for your car. The car parts get rusted and corroded due to air moisture and the rain also damages the paint. Besides this, the traffic jams due to waterlogging will further affect the engine. Your car needs special care in these months of the year for it to run well and for a longer time.
Car Maintenance guide
Following are some tips to be kept in mind while using your car in monsoons:
- Car Paint: The rainwater have components which are acidic and this spoils the paint of the car. A protective coat should be done to protect the paint in the monsoons. It also provides protection from road salt, bird dropping, and heat. This makes it simpler to clean the car and the paint stays for longer.
- Avoid Rusting: The underside of the car comes in contact with water than other parts and this can cause rusting. As this part is not visible, it can be ignored easily and gets rusted and corroded. There are anti-corrosion treatments available which can protect this part of the car.
- Wipers & Brakes: Before the monsoons arrive, check the wiper blades and change in case of wear out. The stopping power of the brakes gets affected due to excessive water. The car should not be left for long in water as that can spoil the brakes.
- Car Insurance with Engine Protect (Hydrostatic Loss Cover): Hydrostatic Lock happens when the engine comes in contact with water through the vehicles air intake value. This water ingression doesn’t allow the engine to function and leads to Engine Seizure which is called Hydrostatic Loss.
- Avoid Constant Cranking of Engine: Its painful if the vehicle gets stuck due to Engine Seizure in water logged areas. But it’s even more damaging for the Engine with constant cranking and attempts of ignition. This damages the Engine parts which results in partial half or complete Engine replacement.
- Necessary Essentials : Do ensure you have the proper toolkits and necessary essentials like Rope, Flashlight, Mobile Phone Powerbank, some light Snacks & Juices in case you are stuck in the car for hours.
Do’s & Don’ts to keep in mind
The car can be affected quite badly when being driven around in the rain. Some things which should be kept in mind to ensure your safety and for the performance of the car are:
- Do not drive fast and keep a proper distance. If the car is at a low speed you can avoid water affecting the car.
- Keep the Headlights On to ensure other vehicles see you when driving in heavy rains.
- Do not press hard on the brakes. Pressing the brakes hard can cause the car to slide forward.
- Do not brake the car if you are aquaplaning. You should drive slowly and take your foot off the accelerator to let the car move at a very low speed.
- Don’t forcefully try to turn the Engine On & Off in case of Water Ingression.
- Most importantedly drive slowly in water logged areas and avoid under constructed roads.
Car Insurance add-on covers
Take Car Insurance add-on covers when renewing car insurance especially if you stay in an area which is exposed to heavy rains and water logging. Some of the optional Add-on covers with Car Insurance you should take are:
Engine Protector Cover: This cover will take care of any Engine parts repairs and replacements which need to be done to the car due to rain water Engine damage.
Roadside Assistance Cover: This helps to get assistance if you are stuck on the roadside during monsoons due to car breakdown. In such a case assistance is sent by the external roadside assistance team of the insurer.
Zero Depreciation Cover: This cover is available for cars less than 5 years and with the help of this cover full settlement value can be availed at the time of a claim.
Taking these extra covers in car insurance policy ensures that if any damage is caused, it is well-taken care off.
Also See: Understanding Car Insurance Portability